Friday, June 12, 2009

Protein is best meal after a workout.

You've heard that you need carbohydrates before working out, especially for a grueling endurance workout. But it's equally important, as far as recovery goes, to have protein after a workout. If you're training to improve performance, then likely you've wore down some weak muscle. In any event, you need to recover and you need amino acids/ protein to aide in that repair. It's also important to have your protein with vegetables. I believe in using protein as a base for dietary recovery, but in essence you want to have on hand complete nutrition to counteract any deficiencies. It's important, I think, for athletes to have variety in their diet. It makes eating special and fun. Like I tell my son, "If you're going to eat, then eat." Sit down and have a meal, satisfy yourself in the healthiest way possible. I think nuts of any kind are a great immediate snack to have after a workout. But this morning I'm opting for the sausage and eggs. ;^)

Lew Jackson
mistergoodbuy