Friday, May 15, 2009

Master Shane is dethroned!

Another run (really a very slow walk/ jog) under the belt for Shane and I. He became upset that I was jogging backwards and he couldn't keep up. He complained several times that you're a long distance runner. Stop showing off!!! I said, "I don't mean to show off, it's just that we're jogging so slow." Now when you're training with someone who is not on your level it's NOT a good thing to frustrate them. After all, they may be giving it all they got. So you let them save face, try not to do anything to rub it in. But I really felt insulted, does a bull tell a cheetah not to run fast. It's what a cheetah does. And when it's not running fast, it's playfully prancing along, exploring it's dynamics. Anyway, that's what I was doing. So I says him, "Son, you think you're big and bad when you play your video games, but you're not so hot out here on the road in reality. And then you gripe at me." "I can't play video games like you. I can't even imagine playing at your level. But I never tell you stop playing video games because you're stealing my thunder?!" At first, it didn't make sense to him. But he gradually came to understand the connection-- if you're not good at something, don't complain, improve your game. And like I always tell him, "drive your own car." Compare yourself to yourself alone and drive toward your goal. You can't do it for anyone else and know one can do it for you.

No comments: